Full details of Quaker witness across the four days are now available. On the weekend of 21–24 April 2023, Quakers in Britain will be gathering with other groups and organisations across Britain to give witness to our concern for climate justice and the climate and ecological crisis. Friends in Central England are invited to be a part of this historic event.
Join together in London
Westminster Meeting are generously hosting Quakers in Britain and are allowing their Meeting House to be used as a base. We will be able to seek support, rest and hospitality until 5pm each day of the gathering.
Friday 21 April
- Meet at 10am Westminster Meeting House for a meeting for worship at 10.30am.
- We will then walk to the Foreign Office. Estimated arrival time 12pm.
- Meet in St James Park at 2pm where we will assemble as close to Parliament Square as possible for a Meeting for Worship.
Saturday 22 April
- Meet at 10am in St James Park for a meeting for worship at 10.30am. We will then join the Biodiversity March (feel free to dress up as a species that is endangered or now extinct).
Sunday 23 April
- Meet at 10:30am Westminster Meeting House to join their usual meeting for worship at 11am (this is the correct time, apologies for an earlier typo).
Monday 24 April
- Meet at 10am Westminster Meeting House for a meeting for worship at 10:30am
- We will then walk to Ministry of Justice. Estimated arrival time 12pm.
As mentioned in previous updates, Quakers may also be interested in joining with Christian Climate Action for faith-based witness. There is also more general information about The Big One on the national Extinction Rebellion (XR) website.
Upholding and sustaining the event
- Please consider how you or your meeting might uphold those attending the gathering in London.
- Edible sustaining would be welcome too! Please drop donations of snacks at Westminster Meeting House over the weekend or give to those in your meeting attending.
- If you would like to be involved in the gathering, but do not feel you could be among larger numbers of people etc then please consider volunteering to be at Westminster Meeting House on each of the days to support people coming back for a rest and providing hospitality.
We hope to see you there!
For up to date information about the plans for the weekend please join the announcement only WhatsApp group (you will not be able to post messages – just see updated plans for the gathering): Quaker London ‘The Big One’ WhatsApp group.
Joining with others locally
Friends interested in linking up with others in Central England to prepare and/or travel together can contact Jo Hindley (Cotteridge Meeting) details in the blue membership book.
XR Birmingham are running an online Q&As each Friday to help people find out more about the vision of The Big One and the logistics, at national level and in Birmingham, for making it effective. Coaches are going from Birmingham City Centre at 07.30am on Friday 21st April and Saturday 22nd April (Saturday 22nd is also Earth Day and Biodiversity Day). Return day trip on the Coach costs £20 waged, £10 unwaged, £5 child. There are just a few spaces left.
“This is a unique opportunity for Quakers to unite with thousands of other concerned groups and bear witness to our concern about climate justice. Let’s join. We are stronger together. Can you play your part?”
And a reminder that closer to home, a regular silent vigil ‘Concern for the Climate’ is held by Quakers every Wednesday 1.30 – 1.45pm outside St Phillips Cathedral, central Birmingham.